At Waverley Academy, children come first and our priority is to deliver high quality teaching and learning whilst at the same time providing rich and truly enjoyable learning experiences for our community of children. Everything we do as a school is to ensure that the children achieve their very best, and that they are socially and emotionally ready for academic success. We are deeply aware that children only get one chance at their primary education and it is our job to ensure that they all reach for the highest levels of personal achievement and development.
The vision of the curriculum at Waverley Academy is to give all pupils the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in life. The Waverley Curriculum ethos aims to create a thirst for learning, through first hand experiences and stimulating hooks, that broaden horizons and pushes expected boundaries. Children will leave Waverley Academy successful, with a love of learning that remains with them for their next phase in education.
Waverley Academy aims to provide a curriculum that is broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated to provide for varied abilities. Barriers to learning are removed and we provide suitable learning challenges that respond to diverse needs. This encompasses a variety of exciting, first-hand experiences to enable children to acquire appropriate skills, knowledge and understanding preparing them for today’s world. Through the provision of a stimulating environment, children will develop to their full potential academically, socially and physically.
Our curriculum is designed with the intent:
- That our curriculum should educate children about their role within the community and the positive impact they can have on their own lives and those around them. Therefore our curriculum is built upon a foundation which aims to develop a strong sense of self, of the local and wider history.
- That our children should have access to as many opportunities as possible so that they develop a broad knowledge and understanding of the world and what is possible. We tell our children to aim high- they are the future and they can make a difference.
- That our children should be exposed to activities and situations where they develop a broad range of skills, an understanding of diversity and tolerance. Team working is a vital skill as is the confidence to stand proud – our curriculum aims to develop both of these aspects.
- Our curriculum is underpinned by Astrea’s Core Values (Responsibility and Leadership, Enjoyment and Innovation, Aspiration and Development, Collaboration and Inclusion and Honesty and Integrity) and these are taught on their own and through other areas of the curriculum, including assemblies. The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our pupils and their understanding of the core values of our society are woven throughout the curriculum. Each week at our Waverley Rainbow Award assembly we highlight children who have demonstrated their understanding of these values.
- All subject leaders are given training and opportunities to keep developing their own subject knowledge, skills and understanding so they can support curriculum development and their colleagues throughout the school.
Theme weeks, whole school activities and opportunities within and outside school all enrich and develop the children’s learning. After school clubs and events extend these opportunities further. Additional whole school programmes and approaches support quality teaching and learning.
Please find below our long term curriculum overviews;
Below you will find links to our Curriculum Newsletters for Year 3 and Year 4: